Whether you’re trying to figure out when you’re ovulating for pregnancy (or to avoid it) or you simply want to get to know your body better, there are a variety of reasons you may want to track your monthly cycle.
Fortunately, it’s never been easier to take control of your health and wellness. There’s a plethora of solutions available at your fingertips — literally — in the app stores.
Once a niche market, the period tracker app industry has blossomed into a lively space filled with innovation. Industry analysts predict the global menstrual app market to reach $2.6 billion in 2031.
But with so many options available, how do you know which ones are the best for you?
To help you narrow down your choices, we’ve rounded up the five best period tracking apps in this article.
Here are the apps that made it to our list:
- Flo Period Tracker & Calendar: Best for Optimizing Reproductive Health
- Clue Period Tracker & Calendar: Best Tailored Menstrual App
- Glow Fertility and Ovulation App: Best Period Tracking App for Conceiving
- Ovia Fertility App: Best for Holistic Health Overview
- Spot On: Best Free Period Tracker App
Read on to discover the latest advancements in menstrual health tracking and find your ideal wellness journey companion.
Our list is created by our team of Silicon Valley founders, strategists, and specialists with experience building apps with millions of users and generating billions of revenue. We consider factors such as app innovation and uniqueness, user reviews and ratings, functionalities, ease of use, and overall user satisfaction.
Take note, however, that while these apps claim to be backed by data, science, and even medical experts, it is still best to consult your trusted healthcare provider when it comes to all matters related to your health.
1. Flo Period & Pregnancy Tracker: Best for Optimizing Reproductive Health
Source: Flo Period & Pregnancy Tracker
Flo is a widely popular app known for its comprehensive menstrual cycle tracking capabilities, predictions for ovulation and fertility windows, and personalized health insights. It has achieved a 4.8 rating in the App Store and 4.6 in the Play Store. As of September 2023, it is also the highest-grossing mobile period tracking app globally.
What we (and likely the millions of its paying users) find most appealing about this app is how it blends functionality with user-friendliness. Flo has managed to be helpful without making things unnecessarily complex. Whether you’re a tech wizard or a newbie, using the app feels like a breeze.
Another notable feature of Flo is its community support. The app doesn’t operate in isolation but thrives on creating a sense of community among its users. You can share your experiences, seek advice, and find support in your wellness journeys.
Flo’s leveraging of communities to foster people’s health closely mirrors the vision behind EvrSo, a social media app focused on encouraging the achievement of meaningful life goals.
- Premium: Starts at $39.99/year
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Accurate cycle predictions enhance family planning
- Robust community support for shared experiences
- Premium features require a subscription
- Some users may find the app’s notifications too frequent
- Limited integration with other health-tracking apps
2. Clue Period Tracker & Calendar: Best Tailored Menstrual App
Clue Period Tracker & Calendar is a menstrual health app that allows you to monitor more than 100 experiences linked to your menstrual cycle, including emotions, period symptoms, cravings, pain, sex drive, and numerous other factors.
One of the key features of Clue is its adaptive algorithm, which tailors predictions to each user’s unique cycle patterns. Instead of a one-size-fits-all approach, Clue employs a dynamic system that tailors predictions with precision, acknowledging the inherent uniqueness of every user’s reproductive journey.
As you input data about your menstrual cycles, the algorithm absorbs the information, deciphering patterns, irregularities, and cycle variations specific to you. This process enables Clue to refine its predictions and deliver a more personalized user experience. The highly customizable features also work well for those with irregular periods.
- Premium: Starts at $39.99/year
- Dynamic predictions that adapt to individual cycle patterns
- Data-driven insights into menstrual cycles, fertility, and overall well-being
- Extensive tracking options
- Extensive features may initially be overwhelming for some users
- Advanced tracking options are part of the premium subscription
3. Glow Fertility and Ovulation App: Best Period Tracking App for Conceiving
Glow is a period tracking app developed by Mike Huang, a former Google executive and Max Levchin, the co-founder of PayPal. Aside from tracking menstrual cycles, the app makes a bold promise to improve users’ chances of getting pregnant. It does so by leveraging data analytics to provide users with insights into the optimal times for conception.
Get the latest industry news first.
The app developers are so confident about its ability to help users conceive that it offers to pay for fertility treatment if it fails to help users get pregnant. Here’s the catch: this benefit is available to premium subscribers. Yes, you have to pay and upgrade.
Another interesting feature of Glow is Partner Sync, a functionality that enables users to sync their accounts with their partners and make the whole experience a team effort.
The shared synchronization creates a supportive environment where you and your partner can actively participate, providing valuable insights, encouragement, and understanding throughout your fertility tracking journey. This approach not only enhances the accuracy of predictions but also strengthens the emotional connection between you and your partner.
- Premium: Starts at $29.99/year
- In-depth cycle analysis offers users valuable insights into their reproductive health
- Cycle logging and symptom tracking
- Option to sync accounts with partners
- Advanced features require subscriptions
- Some users report bugs, crashes, and synchronization problems
- Frequency and intrusiveness of notifications
4. Ovia Fertility App: Best for Holistic Health Overview
Another widely popular period tracking app is Ovia. It has more than 15 million users and is rated 4.8 and 4.6 in the App Store and Play Store.
Ovia’s user-friendly interface and comprehensive features, including personalized health insights beyond ovulation tracking, contribute to its popularity. Aside from predicting periods, Ovia also provides daily fertility scores, basal body temperature tracking, health alerts, fertility-related content, and real-time feedback.
You can export your cycle data as a spreadsheet and share it with your partner to facilitate collaborative family planning. The app also allows you to protect your accounts with a PIN. Additionally, you can sync your Apple Health and Fitbit health data to share steps, sleep, and weight with the Ovia Fertility Tracker.
- Subscription required for premium features
- Detailed health summaries and statistics
- PIN-protected sharing and partner calendar syncing feature
- Option to share cycle data with partner
- Limited offline functionality
- Some advanced features may require a subscription
- Some premium features have a learning curve
5. Spot On: Best Free Period Tracker App
Source: Spot On
Spot On is a period tracker app powered by Planned Parenthood, a non-profit organization offering sexual health care services in the U.S. and around the world. It is free to download and requires no paid upgrades to access any feature.
Among the things that make Spot On stand out is its inclusive language and design, recognizing that not all users identify as women. This inclusivity makes it a welcoming app for a diverse user base.
Aside from tracking period, Spot On also monitors birth control methods that affect your cycle such as the pill or an IUD. Additionally, it offers a range of educational resources within the app, empowering you with knowledge about your body, menstrual health, and reproductive well-being. This component enhances the overall user experience and transforms Spot On into a valuable resource for informed decision-making.
- Easy to navigate UX and input information about their menstrual cycles with minimal effort
- Free and no pay-to-use features.
- Monitors aspects such as mood, symptoms, and sexual activity
- Some users may encounter syncing issues between devices
- May lack some advanced features compared to other apps
- Some users have mentioned a desire for more customization options
As we put together the lists above, we are reminded of the amazing impact of technology on our lives. Apps have evolved from being mere tools into partners for understanding and fostering a deeper connection with our bodies. It isn’t just about convenience — it’s about empowerment.
Take charge of your health by incorporating a holistic approach. Along with proven scientific and medical methods, harness the power of the best period trackers— not as all-knowing guides — but as tools for self-discovery. Let it be a harmonious partnership, where the app is a guide, and you are the storyteller of your unique health narrative.
Do you want to make an impact with technology? Contact us at Appetiser today!
See our other review of apps!
Jane Eslabra is a Content Marketing Specialist at Appetiser Apps. She has 14+ years of experience producing traditional and digital content.
Get the latest industry news first.